- 1 Is an employment authorization card the same as a visa?
- 2 What does the EAD card allow you to do?
- 3 How do I get an employment authorization card?
- 4 How long is employment authorization card valid for?
- 5 Can you travel in the US with an employment authorization card?
- 6 What kind of visa is an employment authorization card?
- 7 How long can you stay on EAD without job?
- 8 Can I work with EAD without SSN?
- 9 Can I travel outside US with my EAD card?
- 10 How much does an employment authorization card cost?
- 11 How much does a US work permit cost?
- 12 Can an employee work with an expired employment authorization card?
- 13 What happens after EAD is approved?
- 14 Can I work with EAD receipt notice?
- 15 How do you know if your EAD is approved?
Both, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and a non-immigrant work visa allow the holders to work in the United States, but both documents are not the same. The eligibility requirements for an EAD is different from that of a work visa.
What does the EAD card allow you to do?
Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) are granted when an individual has a pending Immigration Petition for Permanent Residence or I-485. The card permits non-citizens to legally work in the United States for a U.S. employer.
How to Apply for an EAD?
- Step 1: File Form I-765. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization is the main form for the EAD.
- Step 2: Attach supporting documents. The documents you will attach will be proof that you are eligible for an EAD.
- Step 3: Attach the fee receipts.
- Step 4: Submit the application.
The combined travel and employment authorization card will be valid for one year, if the applicant’s immigrant visa is currently available. If the immigrant visa is not currently available, then the combined card will be valid for two years.
If you obtain this card, you may use it to travel abroad and return to the U.S. Upon arriving at a port-of-entry, you should present the card to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer to request parole.
Your Green Card (Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card) is evidence of your employment authorization. You also do not need to apply for an EAD if you have a nonimmigrant visa that authorizes you to work for a specific employer (for example, you have an H-1B, L-1B, O, or P visa).
How long can you stay on EAD without job?
Practically forever (just half kidding). There is no time limit. With your I-485 having been filed and pending for more than 180 days you are in great shape to “port” to another employer, as long as in the “same” or “similar” “occupation”.
Can I work with EAD without SSN?
You can start to work without an SSN, if you have an employment authorization document, but you must obtain the number and provide it to your employer later.
Can I travel outside US with my EAD card?
With an approved OPT application and your EAD card, you may travel internationally, and request entry into the U.S in F-1 status when you return, both before or after the start date on your EAD card.
USCIS Filing fees for Employment Authorization Document USCIS filing fees to file Form I-765 is $410. You’ll also have to pay an additional $85 fee if a biometric service fee applies to your situation.
How much does a US work permit cost?
The filing fee for the US work permit costs 410 USD. In addition to that, you might also need to pay an extra 85 USD for biometric services. Some applicants might be exempt from paying the fees in specific cases. Need to Relocate to the US?
If an employee is unable to provide valid employment authorization by the date the employee’s current authorization expires, employers may not allow the employee to continue work until new employment authorization is obtained.
What happens after EAD is approved?
If USCIS approves your application, you will receive two documents – your Employment Authorization Document (EAD), also known as the “USCIS I-766 card” or “work permit”, and in another envelope your SSN card. You should receive your SSN card no later than 7 business days after you receive your EAD from USCIS.
Can I work with EAD receipt notice?
EAD approval notices are there just to confirm that your application for an EAD was approved, and they can’t be used as a working authorization. You need to wait until your EAD card is delivered, as the employer needs to document it in Form I-9 to make sure you are authorized to work for them.
How do you know if your EAD is approved?
It can take a few months to get the EAD approved. Using the receipt number, you can track your case status. Alternatively, you can also call the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283. Once your petition is approved, USCIS will send you a plastic EAD card.